Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Fred Allen



St Patrick's Day is the day we lost Fred Allen in 1956. A lot of folks don't know who he is, but should. Author, actor, radio personality. In his day his witticisms were compared to Mark Twain's.
He had several radio shows, many guest appearances, a few films, and appeared on the game show What's My Line in the 1950's. He lamented the birth of television, and was proved correct about it's influence in our lives.

Rather than have me blabber on about him, I'll let Fred speak for himself:

A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling to do the unnecessary

An actor's popularity is fleeting. His success has the life expectancy of a small boy who is about to look into a gas tank with a lighted match.

Hanging is too good for a man who makes puns; he should be drawn and quoted.

I don't have to look up my family tree, because I know that I'm the sap

I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Life, in my estimation, is a biological misadventure that we terminate on the shoulders of six strange men whose only objective is to make a hole in one with you.

Television is the triumph of machine over people.

The first time I sang in the church choir; two hundred people changed their religion.

What's on your mind, if you will allow the overstatement?

Thanks, Fred. Rest in peace! I'll see you sometime down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment