Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Glenn Strange


Like most people, when I think of the Frankenstein monster I think of Boris Karloff. He was the definitive actor for that role, to my estimation. Others played him as well, Lon Chaney Jr, Bela Lugosi, etc... Actor Glenn Strange took his turn, and did a pretty decent job. By the time Glenn took over the monster didn't seem to be much of a star any more, usually appearing with several of his cohorts like Dracula and the Wolf Man.

I found this great photo of Glenn as the monster and just had to paint it. The lighting is just superb. James Bama also used Glenn's likeness when he painted for Aurora models. It seems like a lot of the monster toys in the 60's and 70's where patterned after Glenn's likeness moreso than Boris'.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. From expression to color scheme... just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mike. I appreciate it. He was a lot of fun to paint.

    ReplyDelete