Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Peel the Paint, the rebirth!!!





I used to have a web site entitled Peel the Paint, but AT&T decided they would no longer offer personal web pages so it went away. I decided to start it up again, this time as a blog. This will enable me to post my artwork, and write about each painting. I hope you enjoy viewing the artwork, and reading the comments.

First off, I wanted to start by posting a portrait of the Reverend Gary Davis. He's a favorite subject of mine, and I enjoy his music as well. This portrait was painted on masonite in oils. It was done with no prep work, just straight into the painting. It was actually done out of frustration. For months I had struggled with a picture I was trying to paint of Jesus appearing to St. John on the Isle of Patmos. Needless to say, I was in over my head. I didn't even try to cover that painting up, just dove right into this one of the Reverend, sketching it in oils over the existing painting.

I was pleased with the way it turned out. I like the lighting, and the dark quality of it, to echo Gary Davis' loss of sight. Guitars are never much fun to paint, but as you'll see they appear many times in my work.

2 comments: