Thursday, March 11, 2010

Shirley Temple


I remember watching Shirley Temple films when I was a child. I really don't remember too much about them, so I guess the monsters made more of an impression on me than Shirley did. When I was growing up in the 60's-70's a Nostalgia craze broke out. People were rediscovering Charlie Chaplin, the Marx Brothers, Laurel and Hardy and many other of the stars from the early days of radio and film. I'm glad this happened because my Dad took me to see W C Fields films, and at my school the teacher played the Orson Welles broadcast of War of the Worlds, which began my lifelong enjoyment of old time radio.

I did this portrait for a dear friend of mine. She has many favorites, Shirley Temple and cats among them. What better than to combine two of her loves into a painting for her? I remember she cried when she unwrapped this Christmas gift. What better reward can an artist ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment