Monday, March 15, 2010

Tree Frog


Back in college I *really* wanted to be a paperback book cover artist in the Fantasy genre. I greedily absorbed the works of Frazetta, Michael Whelan, Sanjulian, Jeff Jones and many more during this time. Very soon I would come to the realization either you're cut out for that work or you're not. Those guys were, I was not. I made a few attempts, and really enjoyed letting the imagination loose. In Fantasy art there are no boundaries.

I was also infatuated with tree frogs at the time. Their multi-colored bodies are very artistic. To combine my two interests I came up with this painting. I had read that the Brothers Hildebrandt did some of their paintings on gessoed masonite, so I gave it a try. It makes for very heavy paintings, literally. I liked the smoothness of the surface (which you have to sand in-between coats of the gesso), but in the end canvas won out for me. I usually use sanded down canvas panels with a coat or two of gesso on them.

This was a fun painting to do, and it rarely has been seen since it was created.

1 comment:

  1. Colorful and cool! I wonder what brought them both to this impasse... very fun!

    ReplyDelete