Monday, April 12, 2010

Grandpa


I grew up never knowing my blood grandparents. They were all gone before I was born. All I know about them is what my folks have told me, and through photographs. Those photos are priceless to me. It's the only "contact" I have with them.

This portrait is of my dad's dad. Painting it brought out some strange emotions in me. I was thinking about the fact that I never got to meet him, and wondered what he was like. What hobbies did he have, what were his worries, etc. I sorta felt cheated that I never got to know him, and wondered what he would think about me. These things I'll never know this side of Heaven.

The original photo I had to work from was quite tiny. I really like his face and was anxious to capture it in oils. He favors my older brother. I'm really looking forward to meeting him someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment