Monday, April 26, 2010

Staci and Maui


This painting is about 10 years old. That's my youngest daughter, Staci and our dog, Maui. They were sitting on a picnic table in our back yard, and the light was cutting through the trees producing that wonderful dappled light effect I enjoy painting. Something obviously caught Maui's attention. Probably a rabbit or squirrel that happened to be in "his" yard.

Maui was an orphan when we got him. He had been in three other homes, and those owners couldn't handle having a puppy, so we ended up with him. I believe he was under a year old when he came to live with us. Now he's 14 and still acting like a puppy at times, despite loss of hearing and diminished sight.

In this painting I achieved a rather impressionistic approach that appeals to me, but doesn't come easily. I tend to over render, instead of letting the brushstrokes determine the forms and shadows. It wasn't until several years ago that I really came to understand impressionism and what it meant. It's a challenge to try to paint in that manner and make it turn out. I was pleased with the way this one turned out.

2 comments:

  1. A success, Mike!

    (Someday, I'll take you up on that offer of doing one for me...)

    -Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Craig, and please do!!

    ReplyDelete