Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Vincent Price



I can't recall when I first became aware of actor Vincent Price. It might have been on the 1960's teevee show Batman when he played Egghead. All I know is that I grew to admire his acting ability in films such as Dr. Phibes, Conqueror Worm, The Raven, House of Wax and many, many more.

He was a true renaissance man, having been an author, an art collector, and a pretty decent cook as I've been told. I really enjoy his radio appearances on shows such as Duffy's Tavern, Suspense, the Saint, etc.

He was the only one of the "old guard" I actually got to meet. There used to be a theater troupe in the Midwest known as the Kenley Players. They would always come through my home town, and on opening night they would have a cast party at a local pizzeria. The restaurant's walls were adorned with autographed photos of the actors of the day who ate there.

In the early 70's, I got word that Vincent was appearing as Fagan in Oliver Twist. My dad took me and the family to the pizzeria that night, and I got to meet Vincent, shake his hand and get his autograph. One of the happiest moments of my life!!

1 comment: