Friday, October 8, 2010

Dracula


I've been a fan of the classic Universal monsters ever since I can remember. Since Halloween is coming up I thought I'd post this painting I did of Bela Lugosi and Helen Chandler from, for me the definitive Dracula film of 1931. I recall seeing this film listed in the TV Guide magazine, with the word "melodrama" after it. As a young boy I didn't know what melodrama meant. I'm still not convinced Dracula is a melodramatic film. Oh, well...

Halloween was a great time when I was a kid. We'd dress up in the afternoon, get our milk-boxes for Unicef and go collect coins for them. This allowed us to scout out the terrain prior to going for the good stuff: the candy!! I usually wore a Ben Cooper costume of whatever cartoon character I was fond of at the time. When I was around 11 or 12, my mom made me a Dracula cape!! That was big stuff!! A white shirt, black pants, some plastic fangs and fake blood and I was good to go.

I loved staying up late n Saturday nights and watching the Cool Ghoul from Cincinnati and Dr. Creep from Dayton. These were the only chance you had to see a classic horror film back then. Those days made for some very fond memories that endure to this day.

2 comments:

  1. Love this one! Just beautiful, and I always love reminiscing about Hallowe'ens past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shades of the glory days of FM!

    Thanks, Mike.

    Happy All Hallow's,
    -Craig

    ReplyDelete