Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Revisiting an old friend....


I'll lost count of how many times I've painted Lon Chaney Jr as the Wolf Man, let alone how many times I've worked from this same reference shot. It's got great lighting, pathos in his eyes, and is just such an iconic shot...who wouldn't want to paint from it? It was the client's idea for the background images, and I think they work.

I wonder if Jack Pierce, the make up artist who created the classic Universal Monsters had any idea that artists would be celebrating his creations, sixty, seventy years after they were made? When you think of how many various artists have drawn inspiration from his work it's staggering. He certainly deserved much more acclaim that what he received in his lifetime.

So this one is dedicated to Jack, as all of them should be. For he was the original monster artist!

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Iconic shot, beautifully revisited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mike. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. is the wolf man for sale?

    ReplyDelete