Thursday, March 24, 2011

Frankenstein revisited


I never tire of painting Boris Karloff, especially as the monster. This painting is special for a couple reasons. First, I tried a couple of different techniques on this one. I tried to keep really loose on the background. I wanted to try a freer type of paint handling, keeping the values close, but trying to create some variety to the coloration. I also did some glazing on the top lintel as well.

The second was the fact that this was the first time I painted using an easel that my father in law made for me. It's made out of oak and is gorgeous. I usually don't paint standing up, but did for most of this one. It really makes a difference in how you hold the brush, how you approach the canvas, etc.

Painting time for me is getting scarce these days. I'm surprised I even finished this one. As I get older I still enjoy the process, but find I want to do more experimentation. Even after painting for the last forty years, it's still a rewarding experience.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about the things I do. The urge to wander, experiment, create anew... never gets old, just stronger!
    A really nice painting -- I especially like colors/strokes on the door and wall. Draws you in, even as it fades into background. Nice piece.

    ReplyDelete