Saturday, September 3, 2011

Boris as Fu Manchu


Hats off to a friend of mine, Big Swan! He owns several of my paintings, and usually picks subjects that I may not have considered. This is one of those cases. I've seen the film in which Boris Karloff portrays the evil Fu Manchu, and thought he did a great job in it. For whatever reason I probably never would have thought about doing a portrait of this character. I tend to focus on Karloff's more popular portrayals, or straight portraits of the man.

This one was fun to do. Lots of bright colors, tempered by a darker color key to keep a somber tone to the piece. I thought I had it finished at one point, but found I kept tweaking this and that, adding color, fuzzing up the background a bit, etc. Sometimes you just have to declare it finished and let it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment