Monday, September 26, 2011

Jorma


I first heard about the amazing guitarist Jorma Kaukonen when a friend in college introduced me to the music of Hot Tuna. Jorma is one of those rare guitarists who can decimate your ear drums with a vicious wah-wah solo, then turn around and break your heart with a tender love song. He is universally recognized as one of the best finger style guitarists in the world, and rightly so. I enjoy both his electric performances and his acoustic ones.

This is an unfinished portrait of Jorma. I took it to a point where I thought it should be, and let it go. The reference photo was from Hot Tuna's last record (at the time) appropriately called "Final Vinyl". I painted it in college, found my original attempt a while back, and sorta went "ugh"! So I tried again, and I feel this is a more relaxed attempt.

2 comments:

  1. As a guitarist of 33 years, I certainly have known of and admired -- hell, loved! -- Jorma's craft for a long, long time. One of the greats, and this unfinished piece is just killer! Well done, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mike. I got to see him on a solo tour in the 80's. He was freaking amazing!!

    ReplyDelete