Sunday, February 19, 2012

Stevie Ray Vaughan


I've painted musician Stevie Ray Vaughan several times. This one was done on a 20"x20" stretched canvas. It was given to me by a friend. I painted this on it and gave it back to him! Canvas boards are my preferred bases for my paintings, but I occasionally use the stretched. This particular canvas was so rough it was like painting on sandpaper!! It had such a thick tooth to it. I had sanded it down a bit before I started, and when I had begun painting wish I would have taken another layer off. In a way, it had an ironic twist to it.

I've read that the guitar strings Stevie would use were so thick, and so far off the fretboard that the average guitar player could even bend them, let alone play them. he had extremely strong hands. I felt that I could soldier on and overcome the thickness of the canvas. Much of the time this was being painted his music was playing on my stereo.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete