Saturday, February 4, 2012

Tribute to the Cool Ghoul


Every Saturday night around 9:30 or so when I was ten years old I'd drag my parent's black and white teevee from their bedroom to my room to watch Scream-In with the Cool Ghoul, Dick Von Hoene. It was mix of comedy and horror, as he showed all the classic Universal monster films, and did skits during the breaks. The Ghoul was hilarious! He had song parodies, location shoots, and special guests. He also did a dead-on Karloff impersonation.

I never found a copy of his record album, The Cool Ghoul's Phantasmagorical Funky Phonograf album until it was digitized and put online. Very nice momento. Something about him and his show resonated with me. I think it was his humor, his warmth, and his concern for his audience. Most of what's missing in today's teevee celebrity.

So here's to the Cool Ghoul, with thanks for being a special part of my childhood.

3 comments:

  1. Your usual popping work, Mike!

    I was a little too far north, up Defiance way, to pick Cool Ghoul up; Asmodeus out of Ft. Wayne on PSYCHO CINEMA was my guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, even though Dr. Creep was closer to home I always had more of an affinity for the Cool Ghoul.

      Delete
  2. great painting of a Great Ghoul - takes me back to the mid 70s where I met The Ghoul at Woolco on the West Side - the highlight of my then 7 year old life! haha - good job!

    ReplyDelete